Tuesday 16 April 2019

HOLY WEEK REFLECTION: The demonic possession of Judas (Holy Tuesday)


Holy Tuesday


John 13:21-33;36-38




ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who, of thy tender love towards mankind, hast sent thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ, to take upon him our flesh, and to suffer death upon the Cross, that all mankind should follow the example of his great humility: mercifully grant that we may follow the example of his patience, and so be made partakers of his Resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, ever one God, world without end. Amen.






Judas’ Betrayal and his possession by Satan


Our Lord has already hinted that He will be betrayed but now He announces it clearly while also being deeply troubled. The darkness descends as one of the Twelve enters into that darkness. But at the same time as most of them are confused and bewildered, one of His disciples begins to stand out – ‘the beloved disciple’.



So in a sense, today’s gospel brings us an extreme contrast between one of the Twelve who puts himself under the power of darkness, and another disciple who is illuminated by light through his closeness to Christ.



We are told that this beloved disciple was reclining at Jesus’ side. His position would have meant he was regarded, in the culture of that time, as co-host of the dinner, or guest of honour. The same phrase of him is also used by Jesus when He said that He was able to uniquely reveal His Father because He was “at the Father’s side”. So the beloved disciple is in a unique position to witness to the spiritual meaning or inner meaning of whom Jesus is.



At the beginning of the chapter (13) we were told that Judas had yielded to demonic suggestion (see John 13:2). So what happens now is that Satan takes possession of Judas. This demonic possession occurs when Judas actively takes this morsel. His inner consent allows Satan to enter him.



A remarkable thing occurs. Jesus tells Judas, or in fact Satan, to do what he must do. Jesus gives permission for the events of the Passion to unfold. Jesus has everything in his power and thus reveals that it is part of the Father’s plan. Of course, God does not desire people to betray or do any of the wicked things that happen to Jesus, but He does permit it because it results in the redemption of humankind – it opens the way for our salvation.



Judas is possessed by Satan, eats the morsel and leaves at once. The evangelist adds that it was night. Darkness truly has descended.



Jesus then reveals a very important theological theme: glorification.



Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him.



Glory can be defined as the sensible manifestation of the awesome presence of God. The moment of glorification will occur on the cross. The Son of God who has descended to the earth as God made man, in order to reveal the Father, will be lifted high upon the Cross for the salvation of humankind. The cross is the moment of glorification because it is the revelation of God as sacrificial love. The Father loves the Son and gives Him for the world’s salvation, and the Son in turn loves the Father and gives His own life as a perfect gift of love and obedience to the Father. Since the Cross is the place where the love between the Father and the Son is revealed, God (the Father) is glorified by the loving obedience of Jesus, and the Father will then further glorify Jesus. What will happen is that Jesus’ divinity will be revealed in the Resurrection – in His glorified humanity. And in this revelation of glorified humanity rests our hope.



The final poignant discourse between Peter and Jesus should not be lost on us. The Son offers His life willingly in loving obedience, will we offer ourselves to Him?



  

Psalm 71

In te, Domine, speravi

IN THEE, O Lord, have I put my trust, let me never be put to confusion : but rid me and deliver me in thy righteousness, incline thine ear unto me, and save me.

2. Be thou my strong hold, whereunto I may alway resort : thou hast promised to help me, for thou art my house of defence and my castle.

3. Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the ungodly : out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.

4. For thou, O Lord God, art the thing that I long for : thou art my hope, even from my youth.

5. Through thee have I been holden up ever since I was born : thou art he that took me out of my mother's womb; my praise shall be always of thee.

6. I am become as it were a monster unto many : but my sure trust is in thee.

7. O let my mouth be filled with thy praise : that I may sing of thy glory and honour all the day long.

8. Cast me not away in the time of age : forsake me not when my strength faileth me.

9. For mine enemies speak against me, and they that lay wait for my soul take their counsel together, saying : God hath forsaken him; persecute him, and take him, for there is none to deliver him.

10. Go not far from me, O God : my God, haste thee to help me.

11. Let them be confounded and perish that are against my soul : let them be covered with shame and dishonour that seek to do me evil.

12. As for me, I will patiently abide alway : and will praise thee more and more.

13. My mouth shall daily speak of thy righteousness and salvation : for I know no end thereof.

14. I will go forth in the strength of the Lord God : and will make mention of thy righteousness only.

15. Thou, O God, hast taught me from my youth up until now : therefore will I tell of thy wondrous works.

16. Forsake me not, O God, in mine old age, when I am gray-headed : until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to all them that are yet for to come.

17. Thy righteousness, O God, is very high : and great things are they that thou hast done; O God, who is like unto thee?

18. O what great troubles and adversities hast thou shewed me, and yet didst thou turn and refresh me : yea, and broughtest me from the deep of the earth again.

19. Thou hast brought me to great honour : and comforted me on every side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Worship in Sacrifice