Monday 15 April 2019

HOLY WEEK REFLECTION: Generous hearts and hardened hearts (Holy Monday)


Holy Monday


John 12:1-11




ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who, of thy tender love towards mankind, hast sent thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ, to take upon him our flesh, and to suffer death upon the Cross, that all mankind should follow the example of his great humility: mercifully grant that we may follow the example of his patience, and so be made partakers of his Resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, ever one God, world without end. Amen.






Mary of Bethany anoints Jesus

Hearts that are generous and those that are hardened


The veils in our churches at this time remind us that Jesus hid himself from public view before His Passion. This is the context of this beautiful account of Jesus’ anointing by Mary the sister of Lazarus. The account occurs six days before the Passover, so occurs on the Saturday evening from our reckoning of days. The Sanhedrin and Jewish leaders are seeking out Jesus because they are threatened by the upsurge in His popularity because of the raising of Lazarus. Those who witnessed Lazarus being raised now have faith in Jesus, and we are told many others are coming to Him, to have a look for themselves. The Jewish leaders are threatened by such a popular messianic movement not least because they fear a reaction by the Roman power.

The references in this story both point forward and backward. There is reference to Christ’s death but also references back to the raising of Lazarus. Lazarus is now eating with Jesus; he is very much alive.

One of the very beautiful details of this story is the extravagant thing that Mary is doing for Jesus. The ointment is extremely costly and anticipates Nicodemus’ generous gift of spices at Jesus actual burial. The costly perfume would have sold for the equivalent of a labourer’s wages for a whole year! This extravagant gift is pointing to the complete self-gift of Christ on the Cross. The scent of the oil fills the whole house, we are told. This emphasises the generosity of the gesture. Scholars tell us that the word used here for ‘fragrance’ occurs in the Old Testament in connection with the fragrance in sacrifices offered to God (see Lev 2:2). The fragrance of the oil anticipates the sacrificial offering of Christ to His Father on the Cross.

It seems to some this kind of gesture is a waste! Judas protests the gift by Mary. On the surface Judas seems be objecting with a concern for the poor. However, the Evangelist tells us the truth. He was not concerned for the poor; in fact, he was a thief who used to steal from the common purse.

Jesus defends Mary’s gift and rejects the hollow objection by Judas. His words “You always have the poor with you…” should not be understood as a discouragement for helping the poor. However Jesus takes priority over every other concern – and there is little time left before His death.

There is great contrast here between those whose hearts are hardened and those who are open to Christ. The crowds of Jews are still open, but the chief priests’ hearts are hardened so that even the raising of Lazarus does not prompt their conversion.

The hardened heart is something we must all avoid. It partly causes us to forget. Too often we forget how God has blessed us and what He has done for us. Like the Israelites wandering in the wilderness, when new adversity comes our way, our hearts often fill with fear and concern. Sadly, this simply reveals to God the little faith we have in His promise to take care of us (Matthew 6:32–33; Philippians 4:19). We need to remember not only the many times God has graciously provided for us in our time of need, but also what He has told us: “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” (Deuteronomy 31:6; Hebrews 13:5).

Above all it is sin that hardens the heart, and especially the repeated and unrepented sin that we commit. Unconfessed sin has a cumulative desensitizing effect. It can even render us unable to distinguish sin – we no longer realise we are sinning. At the top of the sin list is pride and arrogance which most often cause the hardening of hearts.

Let as all ask the Lord (as in Ps 139) to search our hearts lest there be anything in us that has led to the hardening of our heart. Let us repent of our sins regularly and seek the Lord’s forgiveness. Let us with the words of the psalm below, renew our faith in God’s care for us especially during adversity. And let us take every opportunity to offer ourselves generously after the manner of Mary of Bethany.



  

Psalm 27

Dominus illuminatio

THE Lord is my light and my salvation ; whom then shall I fear : the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid?

2. When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh : they stumbled and fell.

3. Though an host of men were laid against me, yet shall not my heart be afraid : and though there rose up war against me, yet will I put my trust in him.

4. One thing have I desired of the Lord, which I will require : even that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the fair beauty of the Lord, and to visit his temple.

5. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his tabernacle : yea, in the secret place of his dwelling shall he hide me, and set me up upon a rock of stone.

6. And now shall he lift up mine head : above mine enemies round about me.

7. Therefore will I offer in his dwelling an oblation with great gladness : I will sing, and speak praises unto the Lord.

8. Hearken unto my voice, O Lord, when I cry unto thee : have mercy upon me, and hear me.

9. My heart hath talked of thee, Seek ye my face : Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

10. O hide not thou thy face from me : nor cast thy servant away in displeasure.

11. Thou hast been my succour : leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

12. When my father and my mother forsake me : the Lord taketh me up.

13. Teach me the way, O Lord : and lead in the right way, because of mine enemies.

14. Deliver me not over into the will of mine adversaries : for there are false witnesses risen up against me, and such as speak wrong.

15. I should utterly have fainted : but that I believe verily to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

16. O tarry thou the Lord's leisure : be strong, and he shall comfort thine heart ; and put thou thy trust in the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Worship in Sacrifice