Thursday 19 March 2020

Pandemic



On the 18th March, our Ordinary issued an instruction that all public liturgy would cease after Friday 20th March. Priests will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass daily. This is being followed by all dioceses in England and Wales.

The Mass is the source and summit of our life. The prayers of the pastor will rise to heaven as they make the Holy Oblation. They pray for the faithful and all those the faithful hold in their heart. Special prayer requests can be sent to your pastor.

The Ordinary asks the faithful to participate spiritually in the mass. The faithful can read the lections and pray some of the Mass liturgy from their missal. They can also pray a daily office, and/or pray the rosary. All these devotions unite us together. The following is a traditional act of spiritual communion you might like to use:
At Thy feet, O my Jesus, I prostrate myself, and I offer Thee the repentance of my contrite heart, which is humbled in its nothingness and in Thy holy presence. I adore Thee in the Sacrament of Thy love, the ineffable Eucharist. I desire to receive Thee into the poor dwelling that my heart offers Thee. While waiting for the happiness of sacramental Communion, I wish to possess Thee in spirit. Come to me, O my Jesus, since I, for my part am coming to Thee! Thy love embraces my whole being in life and in death. I believe in Thee, I love Thee. Amen.
 The Ordinary has also invited us to pray the following prayer written by two cardinals for our present situation:

God our Father, Creator of the world, almighty and merciful, out of love for us
You sent your Son into the world as the doctor of our souls and our bodies,
look upon your children who, in this difficult time of confusion and dismay in many regions of
Europe and the world, turn to you seeking strength, salvation and relief,
deliver us from illness and fear, heal our sick, comfort their families, give wisdom to our rulers, energy and reward to our doctors, nurses and volunteers, eternal life to the dead. Do not abandon us in the moment of trial but deliver us from all evil.
We ask this of Thee, who with the Son and the Holy Spirit, live and reign for ever and ever. Amen.

Mary, mother of health and hope, pray for us!
Another important way of uniting ourselves spiritually to the Holy Mass is to watch the liturgy online. The Shrine of Our Lady in Walsingham has this every day at midday:

http://www.walsingham.org.uk/live-stream

You may also click on the Slipper Chapel tab at any time so that you can see that holy place when you offer up your own petitions to Our Lady of Walsingham.

I shall also be publishing homilies and other spiritual helps so please keep an eye on this blog.

The Church of Our Lady of Walsingham in Torbay remains open for private devotion. Father will offer the Holy Mass privately but the sound will be relayed into Church so that any faithful may hear the mass.

It is important to state that the sacraments have not been withdrawn. As your pastor I am available to you for ministry to the sick, hearing of confessions, anointing of the sick etc. Of course practical considerations have to made regarding travel etc. Please be in touch regarding any of these things.

Assuring you all of my prayers especially as I offer Holy Mass each day,
Fr Ian
email - ian.Hellyer@ordinariate.org.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections on Worship in Sacrifice