Thursday 30 May 2013

We can build a culture of life, it is what Christians do

This is a wonderful story of a Korean Pastor's imaginative solution to 'unwanted' babies in Seoul. This is what Christians should be about - Life. Did not our Lord say, "I am the way, the truth and the life." From the time Christians rescued 'exposed' infants in the Roman Empire, to this Korean Pastor of today, Christians know that they are called to defend and protect life at every stage and in every place. There really is no room for us to say, "Oh what can I do about it?" I am sure we will have to answer for our inaction on this matter on the Day of Judgement. So let's build a culture of life - join your local pro-life group now.


Korean pastor fighting epidemic of abandoned babies with anonymous ‘Baby Box’

May 28, 2013 (Bound4Life) - Lee Jong-rak is a Korean pastor in South Korea. A simple man with a huge purpose, Pastor Jong-rak saw a devastating problem. He thought of a way he could change it, and he became a prophetic voice to his society. His story is a story of faith. A story of hope. A story of love. And when you hear this heroic tale, you just may never be the same.

Lee Jong-rak is the creator of the Baby Box. His Baby Box is the first and only box in Korea that is for collecting abandoned babies who are physically or mentally handicapped or are just unwanted by their mothers.

Hundreds of unwanted babies are abandoned on the side of the street in South Korea every year. Jong-rak knew he needed to set up a way to save the lives of these precious babies.  He built a drop box on the side of his home with a humble sign reading, “Place to leave babies.”

The inside of the box contains a thick towel covering the bottom, and lights and heating to keep the baby comfortable.  A bell rings when someone puts a baby in the box, then Jong-rak, his wife, or staff associates come to immediately move the baby inside. His aim was to provide a life-giving alternative for desperate mothers in his city of Seoul. He even admits that he didn’t really expect that babies would come in– He was mistaken. The babies came. In the middle of the night, in the middle of the day, some with notes, some without a word, and only a very few mothers actually spoke to him face-to-face.

Pastor Jong-rak stated that one of the mothers said she “had poison to kill both herself and her baby.” He responded, “Don’t do that. Come here with your baby.” One single mother left this heart-wrenching note with her baby. The english translation follows.

“My baby! Mom is so sorry.
I am so sorry to make this decision.
My son! I hope you to meet great parents, and I am very, very sorry .
I don’t deserve to say a word.
Sorry, sorry, and I love you my son.
Mom loves you more than anything else.
I leave you here because I don’t know who your father is.
I used to think about something bad, but I guess this box is safer for you.
That’s why I decided to leave you here. My son, Please forgive me.”

My breath was pulled from me as I read, “I used to think about something bad but I guess this box is safer for you.” Yes, this little box is a safer place than the plans that once haunted this single mother’s mind. Because this box was an alternative, she chose life. Thus, this box would be the beginning of an previously undreamed ministry in Korea, the ministry of the Baby Box. ..... more




 


"The Drop Box" - Documentary PROMO from Brian Ivie on Vimeo.

Reflections on Worship in Sacrifice